Creative Fun in MFL


 

 
Here is our latest teaching and learning post by Juliette Guillou, teacher of MFL at Hodgson Academy.
Last week, I decided to revise the animal names in German with my year 8 class. I wanted to try something new but could not come with an original activity. The same day, the wonderful Mrs Emmett brought a present from the great Mrs Tingey: foam animals! Here was my new idea.
 

 
 
 
 

Today was my big day. Was it going to work? I did two different activities. I first sent a student in the corridor and gave him a random animal, without telling the class what it was. The students then asked questions in German to find out what this mysterious animal was.

This was ticking all the boxes and more.

Target language? P

Participation? P

Complex structures? P

We developed this activity by working in pairs. The students were asked to write a description of their animal on a mini white board, and then their partner has to guess it, in German.
 
 
 

Students were clearly developing their skills.

Grammar? P

Spelling? P

Extended vocabulary? P

Involvement? P

This is what the students had to say!

 “I liked the activity because it was fun guessing the animals.”

 “I really enjoyed learning about the animals and how you pronounce the German words.”

In case you fancy a go, this pack of foam animals only cost £1 from the famous store with a similar name. Get some Poundland Pedagogy prowess in your teaching and learning!

Comments