A new generation

Here are a couple of new ideas from two of our student teachers. They are both easy to adapt to any subjects!

1. Poundland pedagogy in practice


After visiting Bea’s twilight session on ‘Poundland Pedagogy’ and taking away some free samples, I decided to incorporate a ‘sticky man’ into one of my lessons.
I chose a student to throw the sticky man (they named him Geoffrey) at the wall.

In the time it took for Geoffrey to tumble from the ceiling to the floor, I chose another student to answer a given question. In this instance the students had to give a definition for descriptive writing techniques (SOAP AIMS) but it would work well in any subject where a quick answer is required.
The student that successfully answered was then chosen to throw Geoffrey for the next question.
The students really enjoyed this activity; it kept them engaged and eager to answer.

Unfortunately, Geoffrey was thrown a little too hard on one occasion which resulted in him losing his legs and no longer being able to take part in lessons. Luckily, I had a spare in the drawer, and Geoffrey is now succeeded by his son, who the students named, Geoffrey Junior.

By Miss Smith, teacher of English

2. The Human Chain

When I was at school I used to enjoy playing a link game where everyone in the class would have a sticky note with either a question or answer, keyword or definition and beginning or end. These notes would form a link which would rely all students participating by answering the question relevant to their sticky note! It creates a sense of dependency and challenge. The students I teach now seem to enjoy it just as much as I did!

By Miss Clarke, teacher of R.E.

Comments