A different pedagogy

By A. Wenham, teacher of History

Here are a few ideas, which I regularly use in my lessons:


1. Fun with bugs




I use these bugs on wheels, for a plenary activity.  The pupils race them and answer unseen questions that correspond to the bugs' finishing position i.e. 1,2,3 or 4.  I use them with individual pupils or tables if I want a group response.







2. Snap cards

Firstly, thank you to Bea for these cards from the Poundland Pedagogy twilight. I have found a few uses for them, here's two:

a. If I want pupils to work outside their friendship/seating plan groups, I hand out these cards and they have to find their pair or group.

2. More specifically for History, I have used them as a questioning tool when teaching Elizabeth I and the Armada. I hand out the cards to the pupils and they have to use the picture on the card to give me information, e.g. Jolly Roger- Drake/Raleigh pirate or adventurer?  Treasure map, where did they sail, what was the route? Treasure chest - what was Raleigh looking for on his travels?  Anchor - where did the Armada drop anchor and why?  Cannon - describe the battle between Elizabeth's navy and the Armada.

3. Unexpected taste


I like to use the experiential approach occasionally in my History lessons and this is one thing I do.

As a starter for the first lesson in the Slavery SOW, I give each child a sweet to eat, but they have no sugar so they don't taste as expected. I then question them as to what is missing, and then let them make the link between sugar plantations and slavery.




Comments