Checking Understanding

By K. Parr, Lead Teacher of Geography

After being motivated by our 'every lesson counts' meeting, I have set up a very quick and easy way of checking understanding, which aims to help with planning for the next lesson and student recall. On the wipe board, which is next to the door in I7, I have stuck 3 posters:
 

 
 
 
 
Easy peasy!- green
Ok, I think- yellow
Uh Oh- red
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For the different classes I teach, I will write either topic content or a question on the board. On their exit, the students will stick a small post it note with their name on, on the poster they feel represents their understanding of the topic. Once everyone has gone, I will be able to see whether next lesson I should move on OR go over the topic in more detail OR give some independent work to certain students.
 
 
This is not a method that should stand alone- it is something that should be used in conjunction with student books. Often, some students don't want to admit they don't understand, especially when peers are watching them.

A very quick method, which can be done each lesson!
 
 
 
 

Comments