Reflecting in Year 11

by Mike Steel,
Teacher of Maths

Here's a simple idea that's working well with many students in my Year 11 maths class. At the beginning of the year I printed a summarised version of the KS4 scheme of work and glued it onto the first page of each student's book. Most lessons I select a different topic from the list and run a starter on that topic. The students then reflect on how well they have done, as well as dating the topic so that they can later find it in their books. Students are building up a clear picture of what topics require more independent work, as well as gaining a refresher on content previously covered.

The day I knew that this was really working is when, armed with colourful evidence, three of my students started requesting particular starter topics in the hope of turning their 'red' colour coding into 'amber' or 'green' having gone away and revised those topics at home.
 

Comments