A Trainee Teacher's View of Hodgson

by S. Woods,
Student Teacher in R.E.

Well, where do I start? I’m just coming to the last few days of my first half term training with Hodgson Academy. When I left back in 2008, I never thought I’d be returning ten years later as a trainee teacher, but here I am, and I am loving every moment! Seeing old faces that inspired me to pursue my dream of becoming a secondary teacher is fabulous!
 
Looking around the academy, it is clear students are actively engaged in lessons and take pride in their work, their appearance, and the academy itself. What a brilliant community of learners! It’s truly a pleasure to come here every day and see students genuinely enjoying their time at Hodgson.
 
The teaching staff are second to none. Observing effective teaching strategies across the curriculum that engage students of all abilities, has already given me a plethora of ideas on how to improve my own practice. The support I have received from my subject mentor and other key staff across the academy has been motivating and inspiring – it’s no wonder Hodgson has such a great reputation for teacher training!
 
One area I have particularly found effective in RE is the use of GCSE formatted end of unit tests right from Year 7 – an excellent idea, aiding transition between key stages, and preparing students to effectively formulate their responses to religious statements and opinions. Students are able to understand their strengths and weaknesses in answering GCSE questions from early on, which I’m sure will have a great impact once they sit their exams.
 
I look forward to spending the next half term gaining valuable experience in this lively, happy academy.
 
Thank you for welcoming me into the ‘Hodgson Family’.

Comments