High Achievers in Geography

by Rosie Burnett,
Teacher of Geography

After I attended a course on geography’s new Paper 3, I was inspired to integrate new ways of stretching our higher achievers. Every few lessons, I have started to complete an activity that takes them completely away from geography.
 
For example, I took 4 controversial topics and gave students four controversial statements; for example, ‘all football fans are hooligans’. Students were then asked if they agreed with the statement and to make a decision. Students were asked to justify their decisions, which should really stretch our higher achievers.
 
This is aimed at encouraging students to access the highest mark. I found this to be really helpful and motivate students to practise decision making skills. This is something that I would like to input into lower year groups as well.

Comments