Using a Visualizer

by Rosie Burnett,
Teacher of Geography

Image result for visualizer teacher
I have never been the most technically able teacher and always shied away from using new technologies, but I have really tried this academic year to use more technology in lesson. I started with the visualizer.

I thought about how I could use this simple tool in lessons and I decided to start with my KS4 classes.
I began using it to model exam questions, using some students work to show good examples, particularly where they had incorporated AO3’s in their work.
I then began to used it demonstrate how to answer questions. I handwrote examples of answers along with students verbally directing me; this engaged and involved the students.
I, with the help of the class, wrote out mark schemes or level descriptors for specific exam questions. They then used this to self or peer assess or to help scaffold their exam answers.

I have had really positive feedback and from their answers, it is evident that it has been an effective tool to improve their work.  I now use the visualizer with my KS3 classes, not only for assessments, but generally in modelling class work.

Comments