Differentiation for Lower Ability in Geography

by R. Burnett,
Teacher of Geography


I have been using some different differentiation techniques in Geography to ensure our lower ability students can engage in all the activities.

I have, for example, used ability tables in my lessons which makes it easier to differentiate and allocate appropriate activities to students depending on their ability. This has worked well and students haven’t noticed they are completing slightly different tasks, it has enable students to complete activities confidently. It also helps to move around the classroom and direct my help to where it is needed.

Another technique I have been using is to give complete some mindfulness colouring with the class. It always is linked to the topic we are studying and we use and make reference to the picture several times through the lesson. This works wonderfully to settle students down at the start of the lesson and help them to focus. I also find it really helpful in DIRT time when students require a lot of support, it means whilst they are waiting they have something to keep them focused and quiet.

When giving Next Steps Advice in students books, I make sure that I have given sentence starters and examples of NSA in their books to ensure that students are fully aware of what is expected of them. 

Comments