SPED Reading to Encourage Literacy


by J. Ellmes,
Teacher of History

I've come across this resource on Twitter and I've used it very successfully across Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4. With the emphasis on literacy, reading and encouraging independence with literature, I thought this might be a valuable for the students.

The idea is to encourage student independence with reading, whilst also allowing them to pick out and understand key details from the resources.



The students highlight to pick out SPED (Statistics & Specifics, People & Places, Events, Dates) and then give each paragraph a title and summarise the paragraph in one bullet point. (You can have them summarise it in more than one paragraph).








I've found that it's really useful for giving students a broad understanding of what they're going to be looking at in lesson and I have found it far more productive than just talking to the class about topics at times.

Comments