An ITT perspective on classroom behaviour

by L. Crawford,
ITT student in R.E.


University is the place where we learn the skills we can apply in the classroom. However from personal experience, I’ve learnt more from actually being in the classroom.  

One thing I have learnt from being in the classroom is consistency, whether that be in the running of a classroom or following behaviour policies.  I found that just hearing about it at university is extremely different to seeing it in practice and from this I found that it is imperative to keep up with the consistency as pupils know what to expect and tend to learn better and make progress throughout the lesson. 

RE is my speciality, and as a result, can be a challenging lesson as it is compulsory and some pupils do not want to be there. From starting my training in Hodgson Academy, I have learnt many different techniques from the department, again consistency being the main one. The subject teachers tend to have different methods when controlling behaviour in the classroom, however they all have good tactics which work.

As a new trainee I was nervous with regards to behaviour and keeping it consistent as I didn’t know what to expect and all the lectures from university don’t really prepare you fully. With this being said, I found that the support from the RE department is amazing and nothing is ever too much for them, meaning that my transition has been easy and I am following the same consistent patterns that they follow as they have children progressing every lesson.

Comments